In case you’re unfamiliar, descriptive video services companies are companies that provide voiceovers on videos and other visual media so that people with visual impairments can know what’s going on. For example, a voiceover of a movie might tell the visually impaired person listening to the movie that the actors are moving from one location to another, that they’re driving in a car, and that a storm is raging outside the car. This information provides context to what the characters are saying, and the visually impaired person can thus imagine what’s going on in their mind. It’s a great service that makes visual media more accessible to people who don’t have their vision.
If you’re looking for an audio description services company to bring video description to your visual content, you should know that not all video description companies are the same. You need to take your time and know what you’re looking for to find the best company. Here are five things to keep your eye out for.
1. Committed to Quality. First and foremost, the company that you choose to do your audio description needs to be fully committed to quality. This means that they take their time when they’re creating the voiceovers that they’re going to add to your video. They don’t just use the first thing that comes to their mind when they watch the video, but they instead work hard to come up with simple sentences to describe in the best way possible what’s actually going on in the video. The fewer words they can use to describe what’s happening, the easier it is for people to actually understand it.
2. Actually Use Visually Impaired Professionals to Review the Narration. Not every company does this, but it’s really great when they do. Some companies, like Audio Eyes, will actually have visually impaired people preview the videos before they go out. They’ll listen to the narration that people are providing and tell them if they think it’s actually helping them to understand what’s going on in the video. They’ll relay back what they’re envisioning when they hear the voiceover, and the people doing the voiceover can determine if they think that it’s actually helping them understand the content of the video.
3. Experience. Third, you should always look for a video description company with experience. If they’ve been working in the field for a long time then they’re going to know what it takes to create a quality video description. They’ll know to keep things simple, to have things reviewed by visually impaired persons, and to get the content produced quickly.
4. Turnaround. As with most things, it’s important that the company you choose is able to turnaround the video quickly. The faster they can do the video description on the videos you give them, the quicker you can get your content out there to the general public.
5. Affordable. Finally, you should look for a video description service company that can do video descriptions of your content at a price you can afford.